Friday, February 20, 2009

Manny Diaries Day 7 (2/20) TGIF!!!!!

Woohoo! I woke up with a smile on my face this morning!!! 

IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!! Why does that matter so much? 
*I'm only half way through my stint here with Wyatt.
*I have an additional kid coming over to stay the night (my first supervised sleepover)
*I'm on limited clothing rations - do you know how hard it is to PACK for something like this? 
Thanks god my condo is on the way TO work incase I have a clothing mishap or more common - change of mind OR the wrong glasses! 
*And I haven't seen my Oliver  in TWO whole days!!!!! I've talked to him on the phone and Anne assures me he needed the time away from the nut house. I think it's like taking him out of a Frat House and putting him in a retirement home. We both need to get back on track! 
Tuesday, oh Tuesday, wherefore art thou? 

"Why dwell on the have nots when we should be grateful for the HAVES!? " (another great momism - Thanks mom!) 

So, it was a little easier getting up today - knowing that it was Friday and all. Wyatt had even gotten up around the same time so it must be a Friday vibe thing. 

We met in the kitchen. Since we found his FAVORITE waffles last night at the grocery store - that's what he went for. Being that the roof of my mouth is now accustomed to the ripping and tearing that Apple Jack's does, I of course went for those. 
A little surprised that Wyatt was DRESSED and all PRIOR to breakfast, I just had to inquire.
K: "Did you shower?"
W: "Yup."
K: "Why isn't your hair wet?" 
W: "I don't like to wash it." 
*Didn't want to pursue this any further because I knew I was not going to win with the 11yr old's reasoning. 
K; "Ok. Did you put deodorant on?"  (Puberty is coming and he has the b.o. of a barn IF he doesn't put it on)
W: "No."
K: "Why not?" 
W: "I forgot." 
K: "Well the kids in your class aren't going to forget after a couple of hours!" 
W: "They don't care. Besides, it's going to come off during swimming" 
K; (The logic behind this kid is killing me!) "I'm sure they do and just don't tell you.You DON'T want to be known as the B.O. kid. Your friends will drop like flies!"
W: Oh, ok. 
(Do I really think he went up and put deodorant on? I don't know FOR SURE - but at least I got him to think about it -another one for KEN! :-) 

Finished up breakfast. Wyatt is doing a VERY good job on learning new things while I'm here. 
1. I'll set the counter, I'll get the food ready and serve it but....
2. he knows that if he gets up and leaves his dishes and stuff.....uh,uh! I don't think so little man. You can just bring your skinny little self back here, pick up those dishes with the two functioning hands that god gave you and bring them to the sink. You might as well rinse them since you're there too. (My mother is with me at all times) 
3. If you take Wii anything out, you put everything back. If you don't and I have to pick it up, you will be guessing for a LONG time as to where I put it.  That only took once.
3. Before his friend could come over, I laid down some basic house rules in prep for the friend to come over. 
Take out the garbages
Breakdown the food boxes and recycling and take that out. 
Make sure that the TV room looks as good as it did two days ago when Gloria was here, she only comes 2x a month so I personally want to enjoy the house the way she leaves it as long as possible. (Gloria is the cleaning lady that I
JUST ADORE!)  

He's like: "That's a lot for me to remember. You should write it down so I don't forget. Well I didn't write it down as we got wrapped up with what we needed to double check and triple check for before we leave for school. 

*He had everything done before I got home. No note, just a give and take scenario. Win/Win if you will. 
He's such a good kid!!!!!!!

Back to getting out of the house this morning..........

I ask if he's all set. Does he have everything? 
He says he does  - NEVER TRUST an 11yr old -they NEVER do. 
He actually asked me if "I" packed up his homework!! I was like, "Why would I pack it up for you? It's not MY homework!" (I'm getting the hang of this 11yr old logic. I'm no dummy!) 
So, I take the backpack, open it and can plainly see that he has NO CLUE as what today is! I read the notes every morning when I come down so I make it appear to HIM that I know all and I'm on top of everything (if he only knew) 
K: Wyatt, what day is it? 
W: Friday.
K: What do we do on Fridays? 
W: Have sleep overs! 
K: (dang he got another one in!) Ok, but what else? It's FRIDAY........
W: (looks at me like WTH, I'm not getting this. Just tell me!) I duh-know....
K: Swimming? At School???? 
W: (Like the light bulb just went on!) Oh yeah. Did you grab my stuff? 
K: Uh, no. That'd be your RESPONSIBILITY. Go up and get your suit and a FRESH towel. 
W: (comes down with them balled up in his hands and reaches for his backpack)
K: What are you doing? 
W: Putting them in my backpack. 
K: Not like that we're not. Here, fold the towel in thirds, take your suit and put it at the top of the towel like this and roll it up nice and tight. It takes up less room and it looks neater. 
W: Ken, I'm just going to unroll it anyway. Oh, I need a bag to put it in too.
(This is where HE GETS ME!)
K: Why? 
W: So it doesn't get my backpack and homework when after class. 
K: Good point! 
I had to go start my car because I have to "rough" it while I'm here. I have to park OUTSIDE! 
Not accustomed to that. I park inside at my house and I park inside for work. My car isn't used to this. 

Oh, did I forget to mention that we made arrangements for a friend to sleep over? That was like the Great Inquisition. 
I get it but it was like going through a whole job interview process. Not only did Wyatt have ME call to initiate the plans, I had to go through the mom first, wait three minutes and then see what the dad had to say. 
I get the whole we don't know who you are and the everything like that but really, I've known Wyatt since he was conceived. I know all of his friends and their parents. Wyatt wanted to take ME for show and tell one time. Even his teachers know who I am. Anyway, I guess I passed because he's here and they're both playing Wii and 12:00!!!!! 

I've been bored out of my mind. We're on a "time share" rotation with the family room tonight. The new 52" flat screen is a hot commodity. The Wii looks better and plays better too. I'm a fair guy, I'm a nice guy and I don't want to come off as a jerk with Wyatt and his friend. So I make the pizzas, get the sodas out and head upstairs. Parents are such a buzz kill. 
The VCR/tv combo in their room is a fraction of the size, at least 15' away from me and no "menu" on the remote so I have to surf EVERY channel to find out which is which. Technology - who woulda thought that I would be such a junky? Anyway, I also don't get the wireless all the way up there. No one's fault, just a bummer is all. 

Ok, it's 12:15 in the morning. These two are so riled up and into Wii. I'm actually going to head to bed now. 
Nice thing is, I get all three dogs tonight. 
I'm going to LOVE getting him up tomorrow morning. I told him that he can have the sleepover, stay up as late as he wants but he better not forget that we purchased tickets on Monday to go back to the Science Museum for the exhibits in the morning and the Grand Canyon Movie at 12:00. I'm sure hell be napping by 2! I LOVE PLANNING AHEAD! 

:-) 

g'night! 






2 comments:

  1. Fun post! Lots of parents could learn by your lessons! You're going to have Wyatt withdrawal on Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you write so much? That is really a blow by blow daily report if I do say so.

    ReplyDelete