Monday, February 23, 2009

Manny Diaries Day 10 (2/23) The end is near...

It's Monday already. I thought I'd be clamoring for this day to come and go. Instead, it came and went too fast and now the chapter ends tomorrow morning after I drop Wy at school and I head off to work. Not having to get home to get dinner out, run to study class, run to karate or check and double check that his homework is done and IN his backpack. To make sure that he HAS the purple gloves in there too, just in case it is that cold out :-) 
Wii is going to take on a whole new meaning....lonely. My house will seem tiny but at least I get to park inside again! I get my dog back AND I get full access to my closet and the clothing rations will be lifted!!!! Oh my god - this isn't as sad as I thought is was going to be! My glass is now HALF FULL instead of the other - Woohoo!!!!! I'm free to do whatever I want! I'm not responsible for anyone anymore!!!! 

Hmmmm, when you put it like that, it doesn't have the Umpff that I was building it up to have.


I can't believe that my "Manny" stint is over as of tomorrow :am after I drop Wy off at school. 
Yeh, we never bothered with the school bus. Why should we? He gets an extra twenty minutes to eat breakfast and watch the news and talk to ME! What could be better??? 

We've been busy this evening. I told him last night that I'm a huge list maker and I've been working on the "Last Day List" which is a list that we both have jobs to do before we can call it a night. 
Wyatt seemed a little indifferent about it until I called on my way home and asked him to start a few of the chores. 
1. Take out the kitchen garbage - which he was doing as I pulled into the driveway :-) Good kid! 
2. Poopy Duty - with three dogs, it being REALLY cold out ... after a little resistance, he did it and in his words: "it was easy! They were frozen and I could see all of them against the snow." 
3. No homework - I checked and double checked :-) Lucky!!!!!
After dinner he wanted to save the biggest job for last......
4. He Cleaned his room! 

I've been running around straightening the house. I'm the person that cleans before the cleaning lady comes! 
I don't want Julie to come home to a messy house. Wyatt has learned that already and is very good about hanging his coat over the back of the chair  and lines his shoes up under the credenza! Perfect little kid! You'd think we were related the way he takes to me and how I do things. Granted a little EXTRA effort and encouragement goes a long way! He's getting it. 

So, we played a little more Wii, I went out and got us some Dots (our favorites) and watched a little tv before he had to turn in. He asked if he could stay up til 10:00 because it was my last night and all and told him "nice try" but you don't like to get up in the :am as is and I can tell you're exhausted now. I'm not really going anywhere, just back to my house. 

It's been an amazing eleven days! 
I stay with Wyatt every time they go on vacation. Every time is different from the last though. I realized this time, it's because I can see that he's growing up. Conversations are different, interactions are different but the best part is, we're still the two 11 yr olds that talk, do homework together, have breakfast together, get excited to go to Target and I'm still that other 11 yr old that has the driver's license and the credit card. I hope that never changes and we'll be those two as long as he needs. 

Like I've said before, he's the closest person to an actual nephew for me as far as caring for him like family and being part of each other's families. On the flip side, I know and see he thinks the same of me. That's the greatest reward for doing all of this. This and the reality check that I'm not cut out for kids (of my own) on a full time basis - that's not a bad thing either - at least I know that and recognize it. And I like the return policy that comes with this one....I get to give him back but if I ever need him or he needs me, it's unconditional. 

Thanks Wyatt for the inspiration for the "Manny Diaries" and thanks for everything that you've taught ME over the last eleven days. You're the best and I'm forever grateful for having someone like you in my life. 

Don't forget - Spelling test on Friday!!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I think you guys had a great time. Oliver will be excited to see Papa!

    ReplyDelete