Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Manny Diaries Day 5 (2/18) Rough start

So today.....I guess I should start with how last night ended AFTER posting. 

Started with a lot of hyper play, four dogs, one toy and Wyatt. 
Culminated with Radar biting Oliver. 
Ended with me a nervous wreck and upset (go figure - no drama there!), Wyatt crying, Oliver scared poopless and all of us not talking until snacks before bed. 
After talking about it, we realized that we probably shouldn't get all four dogs so riled up with one toy, we shouldn't act in haste and we should probably try to act calmly and rationally, after all, ONE of us is actually an adult! 
We both learned a lot from this incident. Oliver will most likely not be coming back anytime soon. We have all decided that it's in the dogs' best interests that if they can't play together nicely, they're not going to play together at all. 
Oliver will be staying at Anne's for the rest of the Manny Days. It's all good, we feel good about the mutual decision. 

So, this morning was a still a little rough. 
Oliver and Elmo slept with me. I made Wyatt shut his door with Vampire VonRadar and Arlo (who still doesn't have a clue to what's going on) IN his room. 
At 6:20 this morning, Oliver, Elmo and I were all snuggled down in our bed, sleeping soundly when we heard the back door open. Good for Wyatt, he got up (had to - those two are relentless in the :am) and let them out. At 6:45 we heard the door again....he didn't realize that they didn't need to go out again but they wanted breakfast. Oh well, it was time to get up anyway. 
The first thing Wyatt said to me was how early he had to get up...I turned to him and said: "welcome to being a responsible pet owner. They're probably really hungry right about now too." He gave me a look like - "yeah, I'm sure they are", went and sat on his stool and said: "Me too. What's for breakfast?" 
I couldn't do anything but laugh at that one. I knew we were back on! 
He cant watch cartoons in the morning so what did we get sucked into? The moving story of the woman in NJ who's chimp ripped the face off of her best friend and had to stab "her only child" to try to help her friend....if THAT didn't open a floodgate of questions!!!! Wyatt did a pretty good job answering all of them too - kidding. But we googled about "exotic pet laws" which I had to break down into something we could both understand, then the video footage sealed the deal with the emotional part of our brains and her plea...aren't you glad there's nothing more important going on in the world???? 
So that got us behind a smidge, missed the bus, drove him to school again - because I forgot about the bus yesterday and I like seeing that he makes it to school on MY clock and I get to say "Have a good day!" - and sped off to Wayzata. 
Ok, there's NO speeding to Wayzata because there are NO fast routes from Wyatt's school to Wayzata. It's side streets upon side streets to Hiawatha - which is the "busy" street to the nearest freeway(s) AND has stop lights every four blocks AND runs along side - the equivalent of the TGV, NOT! - Mpls's very own Light Rail. There's money well spent! Especially If you work half days. 
So, I had to get on one freeway to a second freeway split to the main freeway to work. Had to drop Oliver off at Day Care without explaining boo about what happened the night before and why he was still a nervous wreck. 
Got to work a little late, a little frustrated and a little anxious. Thank god for the existing prescription! 
Why? Because I don't get how parents manage all of this stuff on a daily basis and I'm left feeling simply overwhelmed. I know I can do this! I'm just grateful that I'm doing it on short term. I adore Wyatt but I can't wait to be a free adult, have a glass of wine with friends at Toast, talk on the phone and SWEAR! 
Did I mention that it COSTS ME 50¢ each time he catches me! I'm only at $2 THIS TIME! 

Also, can anyone explain: Why are boys so fascinated with the bodily function of farting and announcing it with such Pride??? 

2 comments:

  1. Ah, ha ha! It's not just little boys who have the fart fascination (fart-scination?). The grown men love it too. go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Oliver is happy at Aunt Anne's - he gets lots of attention and I think he is "milking" the whole "I got bit" thing. We love having him and the senior home with Shelby.

    ReplyDelete