Sunday, March 1, 2009

39 is OFFICIALLY HERE!

Ok, the birthday was Tuesday but the CELEBRATION was last night! 

Whew! What an evening. THank goodness for Sunday and NOTHING to interrupt the recovery process....I mean healing process :-) 

I can't express how blown away I am with my friends. That's why I do this, I throw my own birthday parties as a party for my friends. It's a thank you of sort because I am so grateful and appreciative of all said people in MY life that I get to call "friend". 

This year was a bit different for me. I usually have my soiree's at my house but this year, I wanted to change it up a little. 
I'm relatively new to the neighborhood - just over two years but never do much around here. That's all been changing and I couldn't be happier. 
There is this little restaurant just up the block, Toast. I just love it! I bring everyone there. It' become my little haunt if you will. It's nothing like a chain, it's owned, operated and run by the greatest couple, Scott and Erin. The staff is AMAZING!!! They're so personable. They know so many people by first name and it's so refreshing to just sit in there and OBSERVE them. They're all so genuine, welcoming and they're doing it right. They're doing it like a family and very old school, like you'd expect Uncle Sol to come out and greet you like he knew you.....you know what? Scott does that! He can be in the kitchen, waiting tables and he and Erin always stop what they're doing to GREET everyone that comes in. It's now wonder why I have taken such a liking to Toast and Family :-) They're so amazing! 
I love to take friends there. I've even taken a few dates...not that they've amounted to much but they've enjoyed it too and have gone back.... albeit without me but I can't help that and I'm not one to stand in their way, especially if it was me that turned them on....to Toast that is :-) 
I have a standing date with a friend on mine for Tuesdays @ Toast. We don't get to do every Tuesday but it's nice to know that she's my Tuesday date at Toast when time permits. 
I have friends call just to se if I'm going to Toast or if I want to meet them there....OF COURSE I DO! 
So, anyway, back to me, after all, isn't this blog ALWAYS about me? :-)
I was at Toast planning this year's birthday soiree. I always have a theme and I was thinking "Toast" would be the perfect theme. I can just set up a crostini table, a bunch of toppings, and let everyone make their own. Get some Two Buck Chuck, Prosecco, etc, etc. I even went so far as to run my idea and menu by Scott (1/2 of Erin & SCott that own Toast). 
This was starting to add up, fast! The run around time, the set up time, the CONDO cleaning time alone was freakin' me out and the sheer number of invitees. 64 of my friends were not going to fit in my condo! So, the bell went off in my head! Have it at Toast!!!! I ran it by my decision making team of course...Julie, Anne and Kerry & Pat. All three agreed.....yes, I know I listed four people but Kerry & Pat count as one....they know and so does everyone else. It's a big opinion but it's a joint opinion. 
That was that. I was going to have it at Toast. I started thinking about it, planning it, thinking some more, planning more and all of a sudden it was here! 
My friend Doug Talalla painted a portrait of me and Oliver! OMG is it cool! I would include it in today's blog but I think Char absconded with my digital camera....ok, absconded may not be the right word but at least she got it and I didn't forget it at Toast or lose it :-) 
Anyway, back to Doug's portrait! OMG!!! I screamed when he gave it to me yesterday afternoon. It's so frickin cool! I can't wait to show it off to everyone. He's one of my favs too! He knows it but I just like to fawn all over him just because it's so easy. Anyway, Doug was my artist dujour for my soiree last eve. Not only did he do the paint of me and Oliver, but he loaned out four more pieces to create a gallery-esque feel to the half of the restaurant  that I took up. It was amazing! 
Every single one of my friends that showed up, amaze me on a daily basis.... that they're MY friends!!!! :-) I love it! 

I have a lot of talented, VERY talented artist friends and I adore all of them. You'll get to learn more about each of them in the coming weeks as I profile them and their art and why I admire them so :-) 

So, it was a great evening. Erin and Martine took the best care of all of us. Making sure my night was going well and taking care of all of the attendees. Julie did my cupcakes with pics on them and I think, I'm actually pretty sure, EVERYONE had a good time. That's all I can ask, every year, each  year on my birthday. :-) 

*BTW - Toast does events and parties. Just contact Erin at: etomczyk@toastwinebarandcafe.com   She's the bomb and she can help you as little or as much as you want for your gathering/event.
As soon as I get my camera back, I'll be posting photos so everyone can see. 

What a birthday! Thank god I won't be here for next year! 40 is all mine! And I'm hoping to be traveling for it :-) 

Thank you! To all of my wonderful friends! You make me who I am and I am SO grateful to know and have each of you in my life! 


3 comments:

  1. I guess you're toast if you're not at Toast. So happy to hear you had a fabulous Ken day. Not everyone celebrates their friends on their birthday. That's what makes you a great friend to have.

    Karen Pere-Williams
    P.S. The only way I could post is anonymous. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The party was fantastic. Loved the flowers, food and friends! It went by so fast. Even though I was sick - I hung in there with some advil and made it the whole time. And props to Julie for the bestest cupcakes! And OMG - that is my favorite painting EVER of Ken and Oliver - I'm happy to say I prompted the pose on the scooter! COOL. Can't wait to return to Toast for that carmelized onion pizza. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to miss your party, but I did wish you a happy day from afar and had a Corona in your honor! :) Great portrait! See you soon
    Linda T

    ReplyDelete