Saturday, January 31, 2009

How do you decide?

Hi all.

Today is a sad day for me. My close friend, business associate, believer in me, confidant, educator, and all around star to me, Anne, has come to the difficult decision to close her store, The Good Life. Hence today's title, "How do you decide?"

I know that Anne has considered every angle to saving the store and her entrepreneurial dream of seven years. I've had the fortunate experience of working with and for Anne for five amazing years! The Good Life has provided me MANY creative outlets such as merchandising, buying, art installs, and a wealth of contacts from local artists and vendors. I have grown and evolved with Anne, Corrine, Diane, Deb, Sharon, Vicky and Sandy and all of the seasonal girls that have helped out over the years.
The one thing that I am going to miss the most are Anne's quarterly "Art Openings" that she hosted on the second level of The Good Life featuring local artists. I was fortunate enough to meet, install and work each opening. That, to me, is a true visionary and supporter for our local artists. She has provided "kick starts" to artist's public debuts and introductions to the public. She has seen several artists "starting out" and now they've made it big...and they have not forgotten Anne along the way.

Anne's staff, as mentioned above, have been a dedicated and loyal group as well. We have seen each other through the trials and tribulations that life has thrown at us. We've all been through a lot and I'm proud to say that I've been a part of an established, community conscious, customer comes first retailer. We will all see Anne through this next step of her life. Optomistic and full of faith, Anne will reinvent herself and be back stronger than ever sometime in the future, once this economic time changes.

Being an independent retailer during said time, is not easy. It's hard to see Anne and fellow retailers alike looking at such choices. I applaud Anne for seeing into the future and having the strength and courage to make this decision. I'm sad because The Good Life has been such an experience not only for me but most certainly for Anne overall.

To my friend, my coworker and my Boss - I applaud you Anne for a job well done. I applaud you for the visionary insight in creating such a sucessful business and having the gumption to know when to bow out so gracefully. You're a true success story and I will always believe in you.

To all: If you have the opportunity to stop by, The Good Life will be closing it's doors as of March. Please, stop in, congratulate Anne and wish her well in her next venture in life. Also, pick up a few amazing buys. This is a hard decision but it's all good. For real.

Thanks Anne, you're truly amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Ken,
    This is such a heartfelt and well written message. I am sad to hear this.
    I do not doubt that with friends like you that Anne will be just fine. Alot of people will miss the Good Life.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a sad, sad day for sure. I am also sad that I will not see you at the quarterly parties. NO ONE does a party as well as Anne! And Ken, you made the event more successful and fun.

    I am one of the artists that Anne generously gave "a start". Thank you Anne, for helping me make a living as an artist, the exposure and support. The Good Life is a unique store and I applaud Anne for her vision and her guts. Best wishes Anne...and to you, too, Ken!
    Linda Thiltgen

    ReplyDelete