Thursday, January 29, 2009

White Vinegar for what?

Yup, just one of many "Tips & Insights from Ken" 

I thought I'd share with you some of my laundering, dry cleaning and clothing maintenance tips today. 
Being that laundry day is coming up, I'd rather talk about it than do it :-) 

Yup. It's a laundry pantry staple. I use it for all of my colors cottons, including bright t-shirts, new jeans and all of my darks being that I have so many. 
Simply turn all of your darks and brights inside out when washing them. If they're cotton, this will help save their colors. The colors will wash against themselves vs out into the wash thus not being able to retain their dyes. 
Cottons are very color porous and therefor fade the fastest. 
This is where I add ad least 1 cup of clear vinegar EVERY wash. It helps set the dyes. 
- Did you ever dye easter eggs as  kid? Well, that's nothing more than dissolving a Paas color tablet into a vinegar mix, hence "staining" the egg. 
If it's new clothing like super dark jeans or new blacks, I actually up the vinegar to 2 cups and cold water and let soak. Also when washing darks, I NEVER use "for darks" detergent or anything other than Ivory liquid. 
Ivory Liquid is the purest soap on the market - no harsh detergents, colors and scents. Yes, it is liquid soap and therefor need very little to do a load of clothes. 

Do you ever wonder what to do with dingy whites? Stained and pitted t-shirts? I hate that! 
I have found a couple of products that I love - 
I can only find this when I go to AZ so I get a couple when I'm down there and send it back or put it in my checked luggage. Would hate to be caught with a cleaning agent on a plane these days :-) 

This is a little messy and I tend to be about less (time) is more :-) But from time to time I will do this just to switch off and give fabrics a change. This is also something that I can only find in AZ so I pick it up. 

I usually pick this up at The Good Life

For tough stains like grass stains from having to tackle and catch Oliver the day he decided he did not want to go to the groomers.

For clothing stains and/or stains on clothes that can't necessarily be washed:
I usually consult Rena at 1 hr Martinizing: 
Such as red wine on anything that is shows up on once spilt :-(  
*NOTE! DO NOT attempt to do anything to it. Blotting it with water is the worst thing. Take white wine to it is the second worst thing. Leave it. The more you play with a stain like this, the more you're going to set it into the fiber of the garment. You also run the risk if "ringing" your clothes. Silks and linens are infamous for this. 
OR I consult one of my Stain Bibles:

On closing, I also want to advise you to NEVER, EVER use "Shout Wipes" or "Tide Stain Sticks" you may get the stain somewhat out but you will be left with a permanent ring from the substance of the pen. These are not good. 
I will have more in the coming days on other "clothing cleaners: Truths and TERRIBLE LIES of each. 

Here's to preserving and extending the life of  all of those clothes. 

That's all for today. 

 Clothing Ken 8-) 

4 comments:

  1. Those are great tips and since I seem to be the one that is obsessive about doing laundry in our house, this is all good stuff!!! I will your ideas a try but I'm wondering if you can find something that's available in MN for some of the solutions that you can only find in AZ... I will stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I've been doing my laundry SO wrong since grade 7. Good tips, GK. Will post up an idustrial size jub of white vinegar at Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to print this out and carry it with me so when I have accidents (and I'm quite prone!) I will know JUST what to do and what products I need to pick up when I am running errands (which unlike you is not daily target trips!) THANKS!

    ReplyDelete